background

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Creepy, Crawly Things

A post mortem pic of a scorpion that Jake, Caleb, and Ben killed in the kitchen. They had to squish it with a book since they were all barefooted.

We moved into our new house a little more than a month ago. Since then, we have discovered that many creepy, crawly things also call this their home. We seen plenty of spiders (including a tarantula), cockroaches, many flies and gnats, scorpions (both inside and outside the house), a snake in the backyard, and a big ole rat in the backyard. Hopefully it was eaten by the snake...although I don´t think the snake was big enough. We haven´t seen any mice, so maybe the snake(s) take care of those. When my friends found out that the tarantula was on the loose in our house they asked me what tarantulas ate. I said I hope they eat cockroaches. ;^)


I remember a story that Mrs. Gregory (a retired missionary and mom to our friends, Susie and Steve) told me a long time ago. She said that she always had people telling her that they couldn´t be a missionary because they didn´t like snakes and bugs. Then this sweet, proper, southern lady turned to me and said "Like I do?! I don´t like them either. I didn´t go to the mission field because I liked snakes and bugs, or even because I could handle them. I went because God called me. I hate bugs and spiders and snakes like everyone else!" Even though she told me that story long before we were considering coming to Bolivia it is one that has stuck with me. I love it. I think of it often. I too have a huge dislike of these creepy, crawly things especially at night when they can and have crawled into my bed. But I am not here because I like bugs and snakes and rats. I am here because God called me and He will give me strength to handle whatever comes my way. In the mean time I am trying to exterminate them all. ;^)

4 comments:

Katrina said...

What a great post! Im thinking about going to guatemala this summer and the lady I was talking to said there are scorpians which has caused me a great deal of anguish!
Thanks for putting it in perspective!!!

Mrs. H in Costa Rica 2023 said...

Hi! When I spent 7 weeks in Costa Rica (studying not missions) I went still with the need to have my dad or my little brother kill all bugs for me. But after 7 weeks of having to kill my own cockroaches (huge ones!) I got over it. I still don't LIKE bugs/spiders etc but I can kill my own now.

I agree with the retired missionary. You go b/c you are called and God provides you with the guts to deal with hard things :) BUT I definitely believe that you have to be flexible and willing to get used to the bugs even if you HATE them!

Ana aka Mrs. Mom said...

...Is it the rain that's bringing all sorts of bugs into our peaceful homes?... I live in Fortaleza, Brazil and a few days ago I found 2 baby snakes right outside our patio door, I've been wondering were their "mommy" is.

Gallo Pinto2 I wish I could kill my own bugs but I need to work on my determination of extermination...

Thank you for sharing, I don't feel alone on the bugs section anymore.

Blessings

The Holmans In Bolivia said...

Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories and for the empathy. It helps to know that others go through the same stuggles. It´s funny how sometimes on the mission field little things can become big ones. I prefer to laugh and get through my stuggles, but it helps to have others to laugh with who understand.