background

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Things we say as Moms....

My friend Glenda recently told me about a book she read that has things we say to our kids and that God also says the very same things to us. Sometimes we don´t listen to Him any better than our kids listen to us. I haven´t read the book, but I´ve been thinking about that and thought I would compose a list. I asked my kids to help me think of things that parents say. Below are things we say to our kids that God also says to us....

  • Why can´t you just get along with your brothers and sisters?
  • Come and sit and talk with me a while?
  • Because I´m the parent.
  • I don´t need to tell you the reason why. Just trust me.
  • I am older and I know better what is best for you.
  • Don´t eat so much junk.
  • Obey me.
  • I brought you into this world and I can take you out.
  • You need to get some rest.
  • Use your manners.
  • Speak kindly.
  • It´s not all about you.
  • Because I said so.
  • Share.
  • I enjoy your company.
  • Your lack of effort is appalling.
  • No.
  • I love you.
  • I don´t care what everyone else does, you do what I say.
  • Eat your vegetables.
  • How was your day?
  • Don´t be selfish.
  • Make good choices.
  • What did I tell you about that?
  • Turn off the TV.
  • It´s your heart that matters.
  • Why do I have to repeat myself to you all the time?
  • Yes.
  • Take care of each other.
  • Go to bed.
  • Do the right thing.
  • Why don´t you just listen the first time?
  • I don´t want you to have to learn lessons the hard way.
  • Don´t hang out with the wrong crowd.
  • I love you no matter what.
  • Stop that.
  • Help your younger brothers and sisters.
  • I am proud of you.
  • This hurts me more than it does you.
  • Listen to me when I talk to you.
  • Get off the computer and spend time with your family.
  • There will be consequences for your actions.
  • Don´t be so lazy.
  • I am so glad you are my son/daughter.
  • Treat others with respect.
  • I couldn´t love you anymore.
  • Not now, but maybe later.
  • I would gladly give my life for you.

What is God telling you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a great list; such truth.

Unknown said...

I love the list. I have been thinking a lot about that too. As the words tumble out of my mouth I wonder to myself, 'Is this His way of reminding me I need to do this too?'
I hope that Joe made it back safe and sound! Love to all.
Love,
Shel

Jessica said...

God keeps reminding me of this truth, even though my girls are only 20 and 2 months. These days it is mostly, "I KNOW you don't understand why I'm doing this, but it really is better for you this way. I'm only trying to help you."

HeSaves said...

Hey, what a nice list! So true.
And it points to God in a plain and unusual way.