background

Thursday, January 19, 2012

How's the Weather Down There?

I get lots of questions about the weather here in Cochabamba.  Since we don't have heating or air conditioning people think that we must get super hot and/or super cold.  We do have days that heating or air conditioning would be a nice luxury, but most days we get along just fine.  In fact after living in whatever the weather happens to be....hot or cold....and experiencing the reality of it, it's so different for us to go back to the States and adjust to 'artificial' temperatures/'climate control'.  We have no control over our climate.  We just roll with whatever the day brings.  If it is raining then I don't hang out the laundry, but just enjoy the cool day.  When it's sunny I try to get a lot of laundry done and appreciate the fact that it dries so quickly in the hot sun.  We pray for rains and storms on Thanksgiving and Christmas to make it seems a bit more like 'home' and make our snowmen decorations feel not so out of place.  I used to find it strange when I saw Africans wearing sweaters and even coats during their 'cool season' of 80 and 90 degree temperatures.  Now I understand.  Joe finds pleasure in laughing at me because I'm totally acclimated and get cold enough to wear a jacket or sweater every morning or evening...and even all day on cool days like those in the 70s.  :)  In fact I have on my sweatshirt right now and it's probably near 80 degrees out.  He only wears short sleeves all year round.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the weather in Cochabamba.  How could it be any better?  For at least 9 months a year it is sunny practically every single day.  Not a cloud in the sky.  During rainy season (December through February) we have wonderful rain storms and cooler weather anywhere from 1-5 days a week.  In between those rains we have hot, sunny days.  Right now in the Southern Hemisphere we are in the throes of summer.  Here in Cochabamba our high temps are in the upper 70s to lower 80s.  You there in North America are in the throes of winter and dealing with ice, snow, and cold weather.  Next summer when you have temps in the 90 and 100 degree range we will be in winter with temps in the upper 70s to lower 80s...only our nights will be cooler (in the 30s and 40s so I can snuggle down in our warm covers with my warm fuzzy socks).  Every day we get to experience spring....cool mornings and evenings and warm sunny days.

Ahhhhh, Cochabamba, the City of Eternal Spring.  See why I love the weather here?  Come and visit and see for yourself.  

2 comments:

Mrs. G said...

We want to visit you. It's been becoming more of a possibility for me as I think more often of taking the plunge. Now, I just need the $ to get plane tickets!

The Holmans In Bolivia said...

Woo Hoo! You don't know how happy that makes me to hear that! We'd love to have you ANYTIME. Mi casa es tu casa. Love you friend! Here's hoping and praying for God to provide .